Conway is known as South Carolina’s Historic River Town. The richness of its past, and location along with the abundance of live oak trees, lend it lasting charm. The town’s residents fought in the American Revolution, and General Frances Marion, immortalized in history books as the “Swamp Fox,” and his troops, stayed here on their way to the battle of Black Mingo. In the late 1700s, Kingston became Conwayborough, in honor of General Robert Conway of the South Carolina State Militia. It was shortened to Conway in 1883, and became incorporated as a city in 1898. Today, it is the county seat of all of Horry County, with a population of 23,000. Most of Conway’s downtown area construction dates to the early 1900s, when the city was rebuilt following a widescale fire.